9J1 L/S Set
The Bartolini 9J1 LS Jazz Bass Pickups Set is the Fender Jazz Bass® ( J Bass® ) replacement pickup set with a ‘long’ for the bridge and a ‘short’ for the neck. The set is highly respected by musicians and luthiers alike for its deep tone, strong lows, low mids tone. They feature a dual in-line coil design.
These pickups are two conductor. They can be used individually and still retain humcancelling.
The lengths of the neck and bridge pickups in the original J-basses are not equal. The neck pickup is 3-5/8″ long which is slightly shorter than the bridge pickup which is 3-3/4″ long.
The Low Down: Bartolini 9J1 LS Jazz Bass Pickups – Review:
- Most players and techs will see these pickups as giving their bass a fuller tone, typically a very significant improvement over stock pickups in Fender basses and other sub $2000 instruments.
- While the tone is not vintage, these are on the warmer side of the spectrum. These are not the pickups for you if you are looking for a bright or airy top end.
- Common comments that we have heard repeatedly are that the pickup fattened or thickened up the tone of thin sounding basses.
- They fit in a typical Jazz Bass pickup route well. The pickups are of average depth. The length and width is pretty close (slightly smaller at the top) than the stock pickups in a Fender J, or any pickups that are using the vintage style covers.
- Bartolini’s corners are nice and rounded over, so if you play with your thumb hooked on the top corner these will feel a bit better than the traditional pickup shell.
- Output is medium, some see it on the low side. Having used these a lot, it isn’t as if these are uber-quiet, but you may need to turn the master volume on your amp a bit
Visit Bartolini at bartolini.net
Leave a Reply